SRB Accreditation & Communique updates

General discussion & common topics (e.g. Rescue)
Two Hats

Re: SRB Accreditation & Communique updates

Post by Two Hats » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:52 pm

More questions than answers in that one Pegasus.

But we should be mindful of the fact that it 's a communique where they only tell us what they want to tell us, rather than the minutes which are kept in house.

I expect more may emerge from the scheduled August meeting.

Interesting to note as wel,l that May meeting was the first of the year after the scheduled March meeting was postponed due the aftermath of the Tathra fire.

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Tue Dec 04, 2018 7:31 am

Version 4 of the NSW State Rescue Policy was approved by the Minister last Thursday:

https://www.emergency.nsw.gov.au/Docume ... r-2018.pdf

Roger002

Post by Roger002 » Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:11 am

2.06 It is recognised that in some instances it may be appropriate for a composite crew deployment to be undertaken. For example, a VRA, NSW SES member may make up crew on a NSW RFS vehicle.
:?: :?:

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 pm

The document should be titled the "NSW Police Force State Rescue Policy". The phrase "NSW Police Force" is rampant throughout the document to the extent of nausea. This is a policy purely to re-assert Police control over rescue in NSW. What a deplorable "policy" document. The control culture within police is breathtaking. Senior Police do do not trust emergency services to operate without police control, and that is the culture. That has been obvious for years. I am certain we all like the cops, but this is about culture and politics on an historic and organisational scale

Simply put the Police control culture is out of control but rarely in control of anything. Maybe a dumb and generalisingstatement but entirely accurate and contemporary.

Here is a simple model.

1. Get rid of the state rescue board (yes I know, but it does not deserve capaital letters)
2. Replace the SEMC with a State Emergency and Fire Commissioners Group or SEF-CG. The Committee chair should be on a rotating basis between SES RFS and FR Commissioners. District and Local committes can stem from the state level within the existing fire and emergency services structure .
3 Get rid of EM NSW ( whatever that is) and re-assign funds towards MFR training for all Fire and SES Rescue units.
4. Redirect rescue callouts to the new fire / emergency call taking facility.
5. Police can provide a coordinating function only, at rescues, but then, only those involving MVAs. Unskilled and untrained personnel should not be in charge, or in a position to determine the priorities at, rescues;
6. Anull the SERM Act and reflect its functions in the RF Act, FB Act and SES Act.

Outcome? More cops chasing bad guys. A whole useless bureaucracy absorbed into a very useful bureaeauracy, Better time and money spent on the needs of the punter in the street.
Any takers?

If so I'll light the torches and get the pitchforks ready.

Rambler

Post by Rambler » Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:52 pm

But Police are in control Alfie - it's enshrined in legislation.

That said, I've never experienced Police trying to micro-manage agencies at a rescue. They typically just stand back and let us get on with the job.

Unless it's something big the "senior" Police officer on scene is typically a GD cop, who if you walked up to and said "You're in charge - what do you want us to do?" would give you a blank look.

Alfie

Post by Alfie » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:59 pm

Absolutely Rambler.

So why have this policy document that suggests otherwise in almost every second paragraph? Its the control culture, which controls basically nothing.

mattfirey

Post by mattfirey » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:58 pm

Alfie wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 pm
The document should be titled the "NSW Police Force State Rescue Policy". The phrase "NSW Police Force" is rampant throughout the document to the extent of nausea. This is a policy purely to re-assert Police control over rescue in NSW. What a deplorable "policy" document. The control culture within police is breathtaking. Senior Police do do not trust emergency services to operate without police control, and that is the culture. That has been obvious for years. I am certain we all like the cops, but this is about culture and politics on an historic and organisational scale

Simply put the Police control culture is out of control but rarely in control of anything. Maybe a dumb and generalisingstatement but entirely accurate and contemporary.

Here is a simple model.

1. Get rid of the state rescue board (yes I know, but it does not deserve capaital letters)
2. Replace the SEMC with a State Emergency and Fire Commissioners Group or SEF-CG. The Committee chair should be on a rotating basis between SES RFS and FR Commissioners. District and Local committes can stem from the state level within the existing fire and emergency services structure .
3 Get rid of EM NSW ( whatever that is) and re-assign funds towards MFR training for all Fire and SES Rescue units.
5. Police can provide a coordinating function only, at rescues, but then, only those involving MVAs. Unskilled and untrained personnel should not be in charge, or in a position to determine the priorities at, rescues;
6. Anull the SERM Act and reflect its functions in the RF Act, FB Act and SES Act.

Outcome? More cops chasing bad guys. A whole useless bureaucracy absorbed into a very useful bureaeauracy, Better time and money spent on the needs of the punter in the street.
Any takers?

I agree with all of that Alfie..

cadent

Post by cadent » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:21 pm

mattfirey wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:58 pm
Alfie wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 2:32 pm

Here is a simple model.

Any takers?

I agree with all of that Alfie..
Same here..good post Alfie time for archaic change ...and tip ANSW out of their minor geographical patch role too.